Arthritis is such a gloomy condition that even talking about the weariness and teariness of joints and its painful consequences, can make anyone depressing, then imagine a person living with it. With the scare of no cure for Arthritis, people give up thinking it is the end, while it’s not. You can control arthritis.
Arthritis pain is not just a single disease but a reference to more than 100 types of joint-related diseases, like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, gout etc. Depending on its type, the symptoms may include pain, swelling and stiffness which worsens with age, impairing a person’s ability to carry out everyday tasks. Along with the treatment of arthritis, the only way to cope up with the associated difficulties is to make changes in your lifestyle and maintaining a healthy one. Following a healthy diet is one such measure. Though there is no dedicated dietary regimen to cure arthritis, researchers suggest some anti-inflammatory, bone-strengthening and immune-boosting foods which may help ease the discomforts. Let’s have a look at some of these arthritis-friendly foods.
● Fishes, regarded as a super food for arthritis, are rich in healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acid which fights inflammation. Salmon, tuna, mackerel and herring are some of the best omega-3 rich fishes you can include in your daily diet. While vegetarians can turn to soybeans for their source of omega-3 fatty acid. They are low in fat and rich in protein and fiber, hence are great for those battling RA.
● Switch to heart-healthy oils like olive and walnut oil that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid to ease the inflammation associated with arthritis.
● Chew on some red and purple fruits like cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries as the Anthocyanins found in them have anti-inflammatory effects that can reduce the frequency of gout attacks.
● Great for osteoporosis/osteoarthritis, consuming low-fat, calcium and vitamin-D rich dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese etc., can help strengthen your bones as well as boost your immunity. For vegans, green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, lettuce etc., are the best known bone-building foods for dealing with arthritis.
● Epigallocatechin-3-gallate or EGCG, an antioxidant found in herbal green teas appear to reduce the production of molecules that cause joint damage in people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Also, polyphenols present in it have strong anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce the swelling of joints to a great extent.
● Vitamin C found in citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits and lime play a vital role in the formation of collagen which comforts and supports weak and inflammatory joints.
● A combo of rice and dal or rajma-chawal is known as the best arthritis recipe as grains and pulses like oatmeal, brown rice, whole-grain cereals, kidney beans and lentils are excellent for muscle health and are known as the best immunity builders.
● Munching on nuts like walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios and almonds rich in protein, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin E may play a good role in keeping the inflammation in control.
Foods to Avoid:
● Cut down on the amount of fried and processed foods, candies, refined flour foods and sodas
● Avoid alcohol and smoking
● Reduce the excess intake of salt and foods with added preservatives
Other Lifestyle Changes:
● Learn more about arthritis pain and educate yourself about the dos and don’ts
● Exercise regularly and keep your weight in check to reduce joint pain and stiffness
● Remain stress-free by engaging yourself in leisure activities like reading, painting, etc
● Seek the help of pain management sessions or talk to someone to reduce anxiety and depression
● Before proceeding with any sort of surgeries, try using electrotherapy devices at home which help relieve pain and reduce swelling and inflammation naturally without any kind of harmful side effects.