Knee replacement is a type of surgery where the weaker bones or joint in knees is replaced with special medical joints. This surgery is done for the patients aging from 60 to 80 years. As that is the age where the functions of the bones in the body weaken. We can say that this surgery is the enhancement to the well-functioning of the knee joints. The knee joint is a bridge between the thigh and shin bones that helps knee to bend smoothly. To function well knee joint is covered with cartilage that is tough tissue and smooth. The problem arises when this cartilage that absorbs shock either becomes thin or totally get damaged. This results in colliding of bones with each other and gives a lot of pain or gets swollen in that particular area. This type of problem is usually noticed in people with the problem of osteoarthritis.
On the other side, knee replacement has many disadvantages that may not be identical earlier but affects badly at later stages. Some of the prime negative results of knee replacement are:-
- After the replacement of knee at certain times it may get loose or stop functioning properly as it should be.
- We may experience certain sounds coming from knee replacement that is unusual.
- Normally knee replacement are not well mechanised to bend it as it should be just like natural knee; this gives the problem to some people in kneeling down or putting weight on it.
- It is possible that after knee replacement, up to 3 months your knee remain swollen and possibly you feel temporarily or permanently numb in your knees.
- Possibility of infection at the operated area or nerves get damaged.
- Certain tissues limit the smooth movement of knees and may dislocate the kneecap.
- Requirement of replacing both knees may take more surgery time and have to be under anesthesia for longer time which increases many complications.
- When both knee replacements are carried through surgery there is a high possibility of losing more amount of blood. With the double knee replacement patient doctors estimated around 40% of blood transfusion. While patient with single knee replacement tend to require 12% blood transfusion.
- After the surgery of knee replacement patients are advised to stay at rehabilitation centers where they get all types of facilities such as meals, whole day service but contrary to that at such centers there is more risk of getting infections.
- It is always found that almost knee replacement surgeries are successful but with that increases a lot of complications that we don’t look at it. For instance, research shows that 3.8% of patients experience more complications than the patients who have undergone a single knee replacement with average complication of 2.2%. Best examples of such severe complications are wound get swollen, a requirement of the second operation and pulmonary embolism.