805, Yash Aqua, above Mcdonald's, Vijay Cross Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad,
Gujarat, India - 380009
Our backs are put into so many stress and movements that it is natural to take our hands back to support our back. By the end of the day, we become so eager to lie down as standing with the lower back pain almost become unbearable. Isn’t it?
Lower back pain is the worst as it makes us so much uncomfortable that we forget standing, sitting or walking, even lying down doesn’t help. Approximately, 60%–80% of adults experience Low back pain (LBP) at some point in their lifetime. It is no silly matter to be ignored, acute low back pain can turn into a chronic one and even cause serious damage to your back if not treated timely. Let’s take a look at the causes of severe lower back pain first.
With so many complex structures like muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks, and bones in it, even a slight pressure or stress in any of them is enough to trigger pain in the back. The following are the possible reasons:
● Sprains and strains due to injuries, fractures, or falls
● Muscle tear or tension
● Spasms due to lifting or twisting some heavy and improperly
● Sudden jerk or awkward movement
● Damaged disks, vertebral fractures
● Medical conditions like – Infections, tumours, abdominal aortic aneurysms, kidney stones, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, ankylosing spondylitis, sciatica nerve and spinal stenosis
● Pregnancy, overweight, poor postures
● Standing or sitting for long periods
● Long drives, sleeping on a bad mattress and others
The type and intensity of pain although depends on the cause of back pain, still it generally can be mild, deep, aching, stabbing, or throbbing. If its the nerve that causing the back pain like sciatica, it may radiate to other areas of the body like the hips and leg. If the pain gets better with movement and stretching, it is the muscle that is affected. Other signs to look out are; weight loss, lower back pain on the right side, lower back pain on the left side, inflammation or swelling on the back, pain and numbness in legs, urinary incontinence, fever etc.
Back pain treatments
1. For starters, you can apply a hot compress or an ice pack to the painful area to get relief from back pain.
2. Take a break from hardcore activities and give your back ample rest which is good for sciatic pain relief.
3. To avoid lower back pain from sitting too much, get up and move around a little in between to prevent muscles weakening.
4. Practice yoga, perform back and muscle strengthening exercises to improve the flexibility of the back.
5. For chronic back pain, Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can be a good treatment option where muscle relaxation techniques and ways of maintaining a positive attitude are taught.
6. Other treatment options like chiropractic (for the spine, joint, muscle and bone problems), osteopathy (for skeleton and muscles), shiatsu (finger pressure therapy, where the pressure is applied along energy lines in the body), acupuncture (that help the body release its natural painkillers, endorphins) are also proved to be beneficial.
7. For complete relief from lower back pain, one must opt for the safest, noninvasive, inexpensive, and patient-friendly treatment Electrotherapy.
Shed extra kilos and eat a healthy diet with calcium and vitamin D, train your muscles with regular strengthening exercises, while lifting heavy objects, bend from the hips and knees and not the back, watch your posture while sitting and standing, sleep on a mattress that keeps your spine straight and use supports for your back while driving. Your back will thank you.