Arthritis is joint pain or inflammation of the joints. It can affect maybe one joint or multiple joints. Actually, there are more than 100 different types of arthritis with different reasons and different treatments. There are two most common types of arthritis namely osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
Symptoms: – Usually, develop over time, they may emerge rapidly. Normally, seen in adults over the age of 65, but it can also cultivate in children, teens, and younger adults. It is mostly detected in women compared to men and also analyzed in obese people. The base of arthritis lies in cartilage-a strong but stretchy connective tissue in your joints. It defends the joints by engaging the pressure and shock produced when you move and put the burden on them. The decrease in the natural quantity of this cartilage tissue is the reason behind any type of arthritis. Now, let us check out 7 ways to prevent arthritis in women:-
1. Maintain a good body weight.
Being overweight is one of the main possibilities for arthritis. Due to this heaviness on the joints the sooner they wear out. As said by Scott Zashin, MD, a board –certified rheumatologist and clinical professor of medicine at the University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School “Every extra pound of weight you have on is 4 pounds of pressure on the weight-bearing joints, like your knee and hips.” So, it is always best to shed those extra pounds to lessen the arthritis pain. Change your diet accordingly by adding fiber, whole grains, fruits and vegetables and restraining fat and refined carbs. This will surely be a great start towards lessening arthritis pain.
2. Swap your high heels.
People with arthritis should be very careful and take care of their legs. Avoid wearing high heels on an everyday basis. It’s ok to wear them once in a blue moon. If high heels are worn more often they create a lot of sufferings.
3. Do non-impact exercises.
Exercises like long-distance running and soccer burden the joints and the cartilage wear down sooner, deteriorating your arthritis. As advised by Dr. Zashin, biking and water exercises are helpful in preventing arthritis and also helps to stay active.
4. Use healthier body mechanism.
It matters a lot on how do you perform physical tasks, like lifting objects, how you hold your body and any weight. People with bad body mechanism are prone to arthritis, according to Dr. Zashin. He says, good body mechanics, like lifting with your legs instead of your back, take much of the stress off the joints. This prevents arthritis by protecting cartilage. According to Dr. Zashin, carry your purse or other bags on your forearm rather than gripping the straps with your hands or get help. Tell someone to carry your bags and relax your joints to prevent arthritis.
5. Avoid injuries.
Dr. Zashin recommends,” Avoiding injury will decrease the risk of developing arthritis later in life. He says, “If you’re doing exercise that’s increasing your pain the next day, that’s probably not the right exercise for you.” So, it is better to concentrate on exercises and sports that may be exciting but equally safe. It is extremely important to be aware of your body’s limits. Always follow instructions given by your doctor or health care provider before starting any new workout schedule and also query them about any extra safety measures to be taken care of.
6. Check your vitamin D.
About 60% of Americans are deficient in vitamin D, and women, especially African-American women and those of menopausal age, are especially likely to be lacking adequate levels, according to the National Institutes of Health. Keeping a check on vitamin D levels by your doctor is a keen attempt to avoid arthritis. Dr. Zashin says, “Patients who have adequate levels of vitamin D have less progression of osteoarthritis. About taking vitamin D supplements, he says that “the benefits probably outweigh the risks, as long as you don’t take too much.” He suggests that if you’re taking vitamin D, it is advisable to get your blood levels monitored by your doctor because too much can be dangerous.
7. Drink enough water.
To avoid arthritis, drink more water. The cartilage in our joints is made up mostly of water, that’s what makes it such a great cushion for the joints. When we are thirsty, water gets pulled out of the cartilage and it spoils easily by deteriorating. Keep your cartilage healthy by drinking 6-8 cups throughout the day.
Osteoarthritis is an alarming knee problem in India with the country having the second-largest osteoarthritis patients in the world. Sometimes just think, what’s wrong with your bones? According to Mudit Khanna, Consultant Orthopedics at Wockhardt Hospital, in the previous years, Indians in the age-group of 30-50 years are falling over to osteoarthritis, still, it carries on to severe influence on the survival of the old aged people. This disease cause full immobility of the knee. If the pain is not taken care of by exercises or medicines, a person may be disabled in the future. So doctors recommend undergoing surgery.
Osteoarthritis arises when there’s a loss in and all over the joints which the body isn’t capable to completely heal. Basically, it is the process in which the wearing and tearing of the defending nerve at the last part of the tendon happens slowly and goes downhill over the course of time. Women are more likely to osteoarthritis because of weakened bones and weight issues.
Even though India is one of the best young at heart countries in a rapid-aged ecosphere, there is a rise also in the ratio of old aged individuals. There is one old aged person in each 12 people in India. With this also arises the increase in the patients of DJD- Degenerative Joint Disease or Osteoarthritis occurred by the swelling, collapse and ultimate injury of the tendon of the joints. DJD may perhaps be an infection of elderly people but it even upsets the youngsters. According to orthopedic surgeon and sports injury specialist, Dr. DilipNadkarni of Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai, the main reasons cricketers of India miss so many matches are a the extreme use of muscles, exhaustion and lack of fluid intake because of perspiring a lot for the spirited sport, they are liable to injury. Another reason is being overweight puts an extra burden on bones and joints causing a person more vulnerable to osteoarthritis.
Another kind of Arthritis known as Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune ailment where the body strikes itself steering to swelling and joint damage which also effects painfully on the holding of a glass. Rheumatoid Arthritis is activated from viral or bacterial infections, smoking, and contact of some types of dust or fibers. Research shows that ordinary form of Rheumatoid Arthritis begins in the lungs. The difficulties of RA are diabetes, high blood pressure, untimely heart disease, early death and musculoskeletal pain all of which are difficult to take care of. It particularly comes in the young age group 20-40 years and even in children 15 years or below and upsets numerous joints.
For the unbearable, chronic pain people usually use painkillers. The market for painkillers is increasing day by day for the chronic lower back, headaches, and arthritis prevents 30% of the Indians from enjoying their life, according to the figures collected by the Delhi Pain Management Centre.
The treatment such as replacing joints particularly complete joint replacement surgery is commonly done. High-tech, cementless implants, using a patient’s natural tissue growth is also used in joint resurfacing techniques. Another new and painless visco-supplementation process is done where a liquid is injected into the joint for short-term support, particularly for treating the pain related to knee osteoarthritis. Also available are intra-articular hyaluronic acid and other injectable medicines.
Physicians and specialists are now researching and working on the new therapeutics of certain solid medications for these diseases made in India at a lower cost.
Another safest remedy to heal these diseases is yoga and another mild remedy is the herbal one- turmeric for swelling and infection in arthritis.
Knee arthritis is such a disorder that is typified by enlarged and aching joints. It shows up by the indications like lethargy, the rigidity of the joints, muscle throbs, immovability and a shortage of elasticity in the muscles. Basically, a few kinds of arthritis are osteoarthritis, infectious arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
But, to heal these severe conditions of arthritis, turmeric- a culinary Indian spice from your kitchen comes to the rescue. Turmeric has an effective component in it known as curcumin.
- The components curcumin and curcuminoids that are discovered in turmeric function as a superb cure for arthritis as they regulate and avoid the severe pain and soreness.
- It does not have any reactions. It looks after the joints while it also protects its synovial liquid (lubrication). It also lessens the pain.
- Curcumin present in turmeric is known to have bone-protective Researchers and studies on cells from arthritis patients show that curcumin add-ons stop dilapidation and harm the bone flesh.
- Turmeric cooperates with the genetic factor to ease arthritis.
- Turmeric- a magical medicine fights against infection, thus preventing the growing bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It amazingly increases the effects of the antibiotics and creates possibilities of favoring lessening sepsis in arthritis.
- Turmeric extracts and curcumin mutually outperform the painkillers and other normal medicines suggested taking care for arthritis. The best part is it does not have any side-effects like the usual medicines cause and suggestively are the adjuvant remedy.
- Turmeric has the ability to effectively diminish the side-effects of the anti-arthritis medicines like the improper functioning of the kidneys, lessened cardiovascular dangers and averts the causing of losing the weight in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric powder can be taken orally or made into a paste mixed with olive oil and coconut oil, any one oil slightly warmed and applied topically has a curative influence and lessens the pain collectively. This paste can be spread on the affected joints and be left for 30min – 1hour and shielded with gauze and dressing. This paste can be applied 2-3 times a day.
- Turmeric has numerous medicinal factors that are advantageous in almost every type of arthritis. Most significant advantages are the antioxidant properties and being inflammatory. Also, it has anti-depressant, autoimmune and natural pain-relieving factors.
- Turmeric prevents the procedure of chemotherapy in arthritis. Turmeric also aids in lessening the indications and stops the progress of arthritis.
Precautions about Turmeric
- Turmeric is safe if taken in normal dosage. It is suggested to use up to 1 teaspoon good quality turmeric powder in everyday cooking. Doses of up to 8g are considered safe but higher doses may result in gastric side effects.
- You can make turmeric milk, turmeric tea, the whole turmeric is best in the case of arthritis. Also, fresh turmeric roots can be grated and added to different types of salads.
- The reason turmeric being high on oxalates is advised to avoid in the circumstances of gout or if you have greater chances of developing kidney stones and instead opt for curcumin supplements.
- Turmeric add-ons must be prevented during pregnancy and lactation.
- Turmeric is safe for children and can be used as a balancing help in curing child arthritis.
Side-effects of turmeric
Greater doses of turmeric may result in a minor, inflamed reaction or sensitivity to turmeric especially after skin contact. Other reactions include loose motions, motion-sickness and severe menstrual flow, greater chances of bleeding, higher liver function tests, low blood pressure, uterine cramps in pregnant women and hyperactive gallbladder cramps.
Arthritis is often defined as join inflammation and stiffness, causing pain. Usually people associate this condition with old age, however, this is not the case. In this day and age, arthritis can strike a person of any age-group due to poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle. Often its signs go unread and people end up suffering more. So here are early symptoms of arthritis and natural ways of curing it.
1. Joint pain
Usually people do not pay much heed to joint pain, considering to be a resultant of either old age or exertion. However, it is one of the dominant signs of arthritis and should not be taken lightly. Pain lasting for weeks, especially the ones that worsen with weather changes and mood swings can lead to arthritis. Another factor to notice is symmetrical joint pain. When both your knees, feet, ankles or elbows hurt together, it is a strong sign of arthritis. Also, the capillaries of the affected area get widened due to inflammation causing redness around the joints.
2. Joint Swelling and tenderness
There are certain reasons of experiencing joint swelling. It could be because of arthritis and as well as due to injury or inflammation. If the swelling lasts longer along with joint tenderness, then it can qualify as a symptom of arthritis. During arthritis, inflammation irritates joint capsule and, lining becomes too tender. Mild pressure from the outside can also cause extreme pain.
3. Joint stiffness
If you feel stiffness around your joints especially in the morning, then there are very high chances of you being a victim of arthritis. Stiffed joints cause limitation in joint movements and prevent motion.
People suffering from arthritis often experience excessive fatigue that is clubbed with lack of energy and sleep deprivation.
1. The right food
Have more of omega-3 rich food as it can lower inflammation, bringing relief from pain. Flaxseeds, chia seeds and walnuts are ideal picks. Apart from that, have more of anti-oxidant meals to give your body enough nutrients and anti-inflammatory compounds. Green leafy vegetables, berries, papaya, avocado and pineapple are highly recommended. Besides, have more of turmeric and ginger.
2. Lose weight
More of the times, heavy weight causes more pressure to the joints, worsening the pain. So get going with the exercise and maintain an ideal weight to reduce joint pain. Apart from that, staying active in general is also necessary to maintain mobility of joints.
3. Hot and cold therapy
A warm early morning bath can bring relief from stiffness of joints. Use of heating pad can also help in bringing relief from joint pain. On the other hand, cold therapy is helpful in reducing swelling and inflammation.
A tried and tested treatment formula for arthritis is Physiotherapy. TENS and Ultrasound are reliable modalities to get relief from arthritis and chronic pain. Apart from being natural and drug-free, it is also free from side-effects.
Milk and its cousins’ cheese, butter, ghee, buttermilk, cottage cheese, ice cream and so on are the favorites of each one of us and are present in the everyday diet for almost all of us. Milk is such a primary source of nutrition that it is considered as the topmost remedy for curing quite a couple of diseases likes cold, fever, heartburn, bone etc., but, did you know it can do wonders for arthritis patients? Just that it has to be the right milk.
You may ask what does right milk means? The white liquid that we drink every day comes in two different types with totally different benefits, unknown of which we consume and if something goes wrong, we blame the milk.
For a person suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, diet plays a very important factor and if you ask which is the best beverage for arthritis, then according to the experts, not just a regular glass of milk but Organic or Desi Milk is the right milk to heal arthritis. Here’s why.
80% of milk is made up of a protein component called Casein and both industrial and organic milk are packed with beta-casein i.e a chain of 209 amino acids, the composition of which in each milk, make it different.
Regular or commercially-prepared milk comes from the most common cow breed while the desi or organic milk is produced by ‘old-fashioned’ cows. Both possess beta casein but it’s the presence and good positioning of an amino acid called pro line in desi milk which makes it a very nutritional, extremely beneficial and a healthy milk for all age groups.
Why Organic or Desi Milk Is The Right Milk?
When it comes to rheumatoid arthritis diet, organic or desi milk is said to be the best solution for arthritis treatment due to its incredible benefits. Since the ‘old-fashioned’ cows are fed grass or organically cultivated fodder, their milk is chemical-free and healthier than compared to the commercial ones which are adulterated.
Moreover, the structure of organic milk is more comparable to a mother’s milk, which has all the necessary protein and antibodies to help one stay healthy. With several tests conducted with industrial and organic milk, studies show that arthritis patients who consumed desi milk regularly have seen a great reduction in the inflammatory sensation of arthritis than those who consumed regular milk.
Although milk is famous for imparting strength to the bones, organic or desi milk makes the knee joints healthier and stronger even more and delays the progression of arthritis fairly well.
In a nutshell, milk is and always a good source of nutrition to the human body and must be included in the everyday diet no matter what, just that it has to be the right one i.e the pure and unadulterated organic or desi milk.
Arthritis, an unexplainable condition of one or multiple inflammatory joints, that appears in around 200 different types with different causes and treatment methods. The joints are the reason that we are able to move our body parts and if these joints become stiff and swell, means condition like Arthritis pain has conquered our body.
The scare of arthritis is that it cannot be cured completely but once you know it well, you can almost bring it to the lowest. So here’s all about Arthritis that you need to know.
What Is Arthritis?
A condition where one or more joints feel like burning suddenly with sharp shooting pain is termed as Arthritis. It is not to be underestimated considering just as a joint pain as Arthritis has the tendency to affect the joints, muscles, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, and even the internal body areas as well. Age is no bar for it to develop though generally it appears in old age.
What Are The Causes And Types Of Arthritis?
There is no major cause for Arthritis to develop. It may depend on the type of arthritis one has and there are over 200 types of identified arthritis, among which, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the most known and common one. Like it’s the wear and tear of cartilage, the person has osteoarthritis while if there is inflammation resulting from an overactive immune system, then the person has rheumatoid arthritis
Still, possible Arthritis causes may include:
● A fatal injury, leading to degenerative arthritis
● Abnormal metabolism, leading to gout and pseudogout
● Genetic condition
● Inheritance, such as in osteoarthritis
● Infections, such as in the arthritis of Lyme disease
● Immune system dysfunction, such as in RA and SLE
● Physically demanding occupation
Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis
● Pain: Constant or untimely pain, rotating, sharp and shooting pain
● Swelling: Red, swollen and inflammatory joints
● Stiffness: Especially in the morning or after long sitting at a desk or car. In worst cases it can be persistent.
● Difficulty moving a joint: The daily activities like walking, getting up etc. becomes painful
● Loss of appetite
● Severe RA can cause joint deformity
Treatment For Arthritis
The answer to ‘how to treat arthritis?’ is still incomplete as the discomfort of arthritis can only be controlled, minimized or maintained to some extent. Also, its treatment options depend up on the type of arthritis, its location, severity, persistence, and any underlying background medical conditions present in the patient.
● Heating pads and ice packs
● Mobility assistance devices, like canes or walkers
● Medications like Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Analgesics, Immunosuppressants, Menthol or capsaicin creams
● Lifestyle changes like changes in diet, practicing regular exercise or yoga, getting good sleep, staying physically active, caring for joints etc. may help to great extent
● Consultancy and pain management sessions
● Above all the best and safest natural therapy – physical therapy which can be done at the comfort of your home using electrotherapy devices.