805, Yash Aqua, above Mcdonald's, Vijay Cross Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad,
Gujarat, India - 380009
When knee starts aching, in the eagerness to get rid of it as soon as possible, we think of big treatments ignoring certain small and effective natural remedies which can actually treat knee pain quickly and more soundly.
Knee pain is becoming a very common problem today due to the current sedentary lifestyles, lack of physical movements, inadequate diet, ignorance of minor injuries and pains etc. India has a higher proliferative rate of Osteoarthritis (OA) especially in knee joint among the world and is expected to be at top rank in chronic diseases by 2025. Well, this can be brought down if each one of us doesn’t wait for something to happen and make a habit of practising the below 7 best moves to strengthen our knees.
What to do for knee pain?
1. Knee Marches
This less strenuous cure for knee pain focuses on strengthening the quad muscles.
● Sit straight on a chair.
● Hold on to the edge of the chair or on top of lifting knee.
● Raise right leg up toward your chest (keep the knee bent).
● Lower and switch sides, alternating for 20 to 30 reps.
● To make it a strenuous one, add weights to your ankle and then lift.
2. Heel Raises
An excellent and known knee pain remedy that supports the knees from the bottom.
● Seek the support of a wall or chair for balance and stand tall with your feet shoulder width apart.
● Rise up onto the balls of your feet without leaning forward.
● Hold for few seconds, then lower and repeat.
3. Quad Stretch
Can be performed, standing or lying down, with or without any equipment like a strap or band, as you feel comfortable. No matter how you do, it improves the flexibility of the quad muscles that help in straightening knees.
● Stand tall or lie down on one side.
● Start bending your one leg till your foot comes toward your buttocks. (Here you can use a prop to help stretch)
● Feel the stretch in the front of your thigh.
● Hold, switch sides and repeat.
Known as an incredible knee pain treatment at home, sit-to-stand works all the way from the glutes down to your toes, bolstering your knees against shock and strain.
● Grab a stable chair and sit with your feet flat on the floor.
● Engage your glutes and core and push forward and stand up (don’t jump or stand up swiftly).
● Sit again by putting your weight on heels and engaging your glutes once more.
● Repeat the cycle.
5. Side Lunge Stretch
Relieves knee pain and increases the hip and knee stability.
● Stand with your feet spread wide.
● Sink to one side in a lunge while keeping the opposite leg straight.
● Keep your foot flat on the floor the best you can.
● Feel the stretch in your inner thigh.
● Hold for few seconds.
● Switch and repeat with the other leg
6. Wall Squats
Can be counted as a part of osteoarthritis knee treatment, wall squats strengthen the knees and surrounding muscles in the thighs, glutes, and quadriceps.
● Stand straight against a wall.
● Step your feet out, hip-width apart, roughly two feet in front of you.
● Slide your butt down slowly until your hips are parallel with your knees (don’t slide down below your knees).
● Hold for 20 to 30 seconds and repeat 2 to 3 times.
Actually, a physiotherapy exercise for knee pain, clams strengthen the glutes and remove excess pressure from the knees.
● Lie down on your side
● Support your head with your arm or a prop.
● Bend your hips at 45°and your knees at 90° while resting one leg on top of the other.
● Lift your top leg, keeping your toes together.
● Feel your glutes engage.
● Repeat for 10 to 15 reps on each leg.
The above-mentioned knee replacement alternatives are best effective when combined with ultrasound therapy devices, which together act as the one-stop knee pain treatment, giving you permanent relief.