805, Yash Aqua, above Mcdonald's, Vijay Cross Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad,
Gujarat, India - 380009
Nothing hurts as bad as the radiating pain of sciatic nerve. When the tingling, shooting pain starts all the way through the longest nerve in our body – Sciatic nerve from the lower spinal cord through the deep layers of the buttocks, down the back of the thigh, along with the outer edge of the leg, and all the way into the foot, we scream for solutions. Well, here’s one for, go get your yoga mat.
Restorative yoga poses are proven to be the finest way to relax your sciatic nerve from erupting throbbing pain every now and then. 1 to 10% of the population aged 25 to 45 years is reported to have Sciatica. Now, the pain can also be a sign of something serious like a herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, prolapsed disc or a pinched nerve. which you may confirm and then proceed to make a habit of practising these 4 restorative yoga poses as a part of sciatica pain treatment.
Restorative yoga poses are comforting and supportive stretches that open the body and relaxes the mind to the core.
1. Supported Backbend
● Grab a bolster and place it perpendicular to the mat at the top.
● Lie down with your upper back on the bolster and your head touching the mat.
● Use a block or another bolster as a headrest to support your neck.
● Extend your legs out in front of and place another bolster under your knees for support.
● Spread your arms out to your sides, breathe and relax.
2. Supported Supine Spinal Twist
● Place two bolsters on both sides of the mat.
● Lie flat on the mat in between the bolsters.
● Rest your arms flat on the mat with your palms up.
● Lift and bend your left leg, bringing it across your body and place it on the yoga bolster on your right side.
● Rest and repeat with the other leg on the other side.
3. Supported Child’s Pose
● Kneel on your mat and spread your knees until they’re open as wide as your hips.
● Place a bolster lengthwise onto the mat between your thighs.
● Bend forward and hug the bolster, turning your head sideways.
● Allow your torso and head to rest completely on the bolster.
● Let your arms rest on to the ground.
● Close your eyes and focus on your breath.
4. Supported Savasana
● Lie down onto your back.
● Place a bolster directly under your knees and a blanket under your head for support.
● Rest your arms onto your sides with the palms facing up.
● Close the eyes, take a deep breath in, and let it go.
● Stay relaxed for as long as you can.
All the above restorative yoga poses can prove to be the best beneficial sciatica pain treatment you can get at home. Each is a gentle stretch which will release the pressure from the sciatic nerve and melt the tension stored in the back away. Your back will feel relaxed and the pain and stiffness will vanish, and if practised regularly, it will improve your posture too. For faster recovery, you can combine them with another best home remedy for sciatica i.e ultrasound therapy and get quick and effective results in the comfort of your home.
To know more about sciatica and its treatment options click here.